I recently installed a two-bin O2 compost system. Here are some construction photos!
|The bins are close enough to the barn to make stall cleaning more convenient.|
|The site for the new compost bins. The retaining wall and ramp were already in place from when there was a dumpster there. I can push the wheelbarrow up the ramp to dump it into the bins from above.|
|We started with a new asphalt pad to provide a nice level site and make clean-up easier.|
|This is the first bin before the doors were installed. The PVC pipes (perforated on the underside) are for aeration and the 4x4's next to them are to protect them from the loader when I empty the bin.|
|Here's the first box with the doors on, from the outside...|
|...and from the inside.|
|This is the blower motor that does the aeration magic. 4" PVC valves are $$$$ so I put in separate pipes to each bin and I will just move the blower back and forth when I switch from one bin to the next every month or two.|
|Here are both bins, finished with lids to keep the moisture content steady.|
|The hinged lids open easily for dumping and emptying.|
The bins are 6' wide by 6' deep by 4' high. The lids are made out of Suntuf polycarbonate roofing panels.